What is This?
Whether you are a poet or fiction writer or essayist or non-fiction or memoir writer or editor or publisher or bookstore owner – in other words, if words are your passion – Uproar is your place:
- To share your work amongst a supportive and engaging community;
- To raise your voice and comment on topics suggested by the editors or other participants;
- To ask questions about or offer solutions to stumbling blocks encountered in the writing process;
- To reflect on the big picture of writing—or on the nitty gritty;
- To talk about the business of writing and publishing;
- To announce pending readings or publication of your work;
- To network with other members of the writing community;
- To make an uproar—or, if you prefer, just quietly have your say.
Uproar is the brainchild of the Literary Arts Committee of The Lawrence House Centre for the Arts. Currently the committee comprises Lois Nantais, Ann Towell, Rhonda Melanson and Kathy Shailer, who will serve at least initially as the editors/curators of the blog and its activities. However, we are inviting the entire writing community of Sarnia/Lambton (and beyond) to weigh in and become involved.
Uproar offers a space for writers to submit their work in consideration of our monthly theme. The theme is only meant to spark some inspiration for your writing, you may explore and diverge as you wish.
Uproar also offers users to submit comments to blog posts. We ask that when commenting on an authors’ post you provide thoughtful and meaningful feedback. You may elevate and reflect on their work, but do so in a considerate manner.
Within Uproar, there is a Writers’ Forum that invites its users to discuss the craft of writing, and help provide writers the tools they may need to write effectively. This may include motivation, structural techniques, business, publishing, and more. We ask you do not submit posts to the Forum that question your work alone, but rather stimulate conversations that will help multiple people. Commenting on our Writers’ Forum posts is different from commenting on an individual’s work, as it separates their art from any general criticism and feedback.
- We welcome original submissions in any genre: poetry, short or long prose, fiction or non-fiction, with the following limitations:
- Poems – up to 50 lines
- Prose – up to 800 words
- Writers’ Forum – up to 100 words
- All posts, both submissions or comments, will only appear once approved by the moderators.
- Comments posted must be respectful: no slanderous comments; no axes to grind. This does not mean you shouldn’t be impassioned or political or otherwise outspoken. It means simply that we want contributions that further discussion, not shut it down or otherwise hijack it.
- Excessive use of swear words is boring. Please don’t be boring.
- Uproar does accept works that have been previously published, as well as simultaneous submissions. Please notify us on the form if your work has been submitted elsewhere for publication. Please include the source of publication and confirm that the copyright has remained with the author.
- The copyright of Uproar as a collection of works belongs to Uproar. The copyright of individual posts remains with the author.